Thursday, December 24, 2015

Book Review: Chronicle of a Love Foretold by Monu Tamang

When I was done reading first few chapters, I was foolishly taken back to campus of the college I studied, Royal Thimphu College. What I have done and how I used to be there during those days, I could see many of them in this book –Chronicle of a Love Foretold


Once I was out of the college, in one way or other, I have almost forgotten them. They got buried by my desires to get employed, start earning and then to fulfill job responsibilities and family obligations.  But no sooner I flipped its pages than they started getting unearthed one by one. I was at times laughing hysterically remembering my follies and also feeling proud realizing how much memories I have made there that are worth to be cherished and are source of solaces when I am all alone in a swirling eddies of my mundane world. 

  
If you are also in similar shoes, read this book. Only then you’ll realize how rich indeed you’re having loads and loads of such wonderful college memories back at your cognitive store. You will be once again taken closer to your college days-where you have tried and learned maximum new things. 

  
But this book isn’t all about college days. It doesn’t contain only about how narrator has proposed a girl, bunked classes, teased girls, boozed, went for walks, terrorized warden and tried unimaginable things from first page to last page. It’s a sensible journey of a college graduate narrated in two time dimensions – present and past. As you walk through his treads, you will be presented with various social problems that are prevalent in Bhutan as well as in other countries across the world. 

  
There isn’t much difference between a mixing bowl of a lucky-dip game and this book. My curiosity started towering as I go on turning every page with my own presumed plots. But at the end, I was stabbed with a sudden change in the plot. When I turned its last page and did a re-conciliatory conjuring of the whole plot, I was in awe feeling apologetic instinctively for the time I have judged Dasho Lhakpa and Namsa. They were not as I have come assuming to be all along.

  
So Chronicle of a Love Foretold is a moving story that will come as a literature treat for you during closure of 2015 National Reading Year. Though there are some medical procedures and physiotherapy terms, the author has presented them in simple manner as to be chewed by any average reader like me. What more can we ask from such a young and budding writer Monu Tamang!    

No comments:

Read our comment Policy to know your rights & responsibilities before actually leaving a comment for this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...