Saturday, October 17, 2015

IBB 01: An interview with Riku of rikkuwrites.blogspot.com

I have come up with a program to interview Bhutanese bloggers one by one with an intention to provide a common platform where well-settled bloggers can share their stories which would be sources of inspiration for new bloggers as much as they are reading pleasure for the readers. This program is an IBB (Interview Bhutanese Bloggers). 

                    
In the first episode, we have Riku Dhan Subba from Riku Dhan Subba’s Blog. Riku works at Department of Youth and Sports under Ministry of Education in Thimphu. He maintains his blog out of passion for reading and writing. It contains quite a number of posts that address numerous pressing social issues of Bhutan.

Not wasting much time, let us go through what Riku Dhan Subba has to say about his thus-far blogging journey. 

1. Most welcome Riku. I am feeling great to have you as first interviewee in my IBB.
I am glad that you chose me to interview for your program IBB. Indeed, it is a great pleasure to be interviewed by a fellow-blogger. I must say, this is a brilliant program that you are initiating for the reading pleasure of your readers and to encourage more people into blogosphere by sharing the stories of those who are already blogging. I congratulate you on this program, and I hope you would take this very far.  

2. Please tell us about your educational background and how you first came across blogging and who introduced you into it.

I did my BA in English Honours from Sherutbse College, Kanglung in 2007. My friend, Kama, is the first person who introduced me to blogging. It was in 2009. He showed to me a handful blogs of Bhutanese, namely Sogyel, PaSsu and Penstar. I found out that these writers have maintained their blogs beautiful and writing splendidly. Their websites, their words inspired me hugely and since then I craved for one such blog of my own. However, it was only in July 2010 that I could create my own blog. The then girlfriend of mine, who is also a blogger, helped creating this blog for me.   
 
3. What is your biggest blogging struggle now? And what were during those days when you first started blogging?
I have got married just few months ago. It means that my life has just transitioned into new stage; and somehow, someway things get different, challenging too. Therefore, I am struggling between my conjugal duties and pursuing passion. Hopefully, all things would fall in their right place and I win back my time to continue blogging. 
When I first started blogging in 2010, I wrote particularly for myself because I was, then, going through a difficult phase of my life. I had opened up my blog to only my close friends and they were my only readers. After that, I started writing extensively and slowly I opened up my blog to a larger audience with the help of ‘Blogyul-Blogging Bhutan,’ a Facebook group of Bhutanese bloggers, twitters and writers. 
  
4. Your blog is one of the most read blogs in Bhutan. How are you managing all the works and how much time you devote to make it better?
My blog posts do not carry a great significance. I am one blogger who often writes about his own little world and his itsy-bitsy activities. But it brings me an immense satisfaction to see many people following and reading my blog. Family responsibilities and office works are very important, and they ought to be fulfilled duly. Whereas, blogging is my passion and it is equally important part of my life. As much as for writing, I spend almost the same time for reading.  I am one person who cannot wake up early in the morning, so I read and write in the evening for about three to four hours. Absolutely to balance my time between office works, family and blogging, now I’ve scheduled to write one post a week. 
 
5. Had you ever thought about quitting blogging?
In the past, several times, I had thought about quitting blogging because it came as an extra responsibility to me. I even considered I would again start blogging once I am fully settled. Only if you are committed and passionate about, you can continue blogging. There are times that I didn’t write for about three weeks, and it is sad. But I am glad that I continued, and still am doing it.
 
6. Do you think blogging is a good platform in Bhutan? What efforts should we make to promote it?
Undoubtedly, blogging has a great promise in Bhutan. Its impact has been already felt in our society. Many people recognize the bloggers by their presence on their blogs. It’s simply great. In fact, what the mainstream media couldn’t do, some blogs did. The formation of Community of Bhutanese Bloggers (CBB) has taken blogging in Bhutan to a next level. I don’t expect any support from the government; however, sustaining and further strengthening of CBB can do enough to promote blogging in Bhutan.    
 
7. People in other countries start blogging to make money. What should be the main motive of blogging for Bhutanese?
I haven’t heard anybody in Bhutan who has made money through blogging, or earn livelihood through blogging. Blogging itself is a new thing in our country and there may come a time that we can make living out of it. Hopefully. Today, different bloggers maintain their blogs for different reasons. Some bloggers’ main motive is purely for the passion of writing, photography, art and fashion. Others’ motive is to highlight awareness on pressing social issues and bring change in our society. Also, there are individuals who blog purposefully to fight for their own rights and advertise their works/products. In this regard, I cannot say what should be the main motive of blogging for Bhutanese; it is the personal choice. 
 
8. Do you spend some amount for blogging? If yes, what would be an approximate amount in a year?
I don’t spend directly, but there are hidden expenses incurred while maintaining my blog. For example, I spend a lot of time using internet while blogging and you know it well, internet is very expensive in Bhutan.  
 
9. Did you ever think of selling your blog?
This blog is very close to me, and it has given me so much (more than anyone can imagine). If people would remember me in the future, it would be through this blog - it’s like my memoir, my reflection. I don’t think anyone would buy my blog; even if there’s, I can’t sell it. 
 
10. What are your future plans for your blog?
The future plan for my blog is to continue blogging till the day I breathe last. Still there are so many things to write about my life and the world I live. That being said, I am thinking of publishing my blog stories one day in the future.
 
My words
Thank your Riku Dhan Subba for your time. Hope your stories left my readers inspired. And my readers, if you want to remain connected with Riku and don’t want to miss any of his updates, follow him in his blog and Facebook.

No comments:

Read our comment Policy to know your rights & responsibilities before actually leaving a comment for this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...