Thursday, October 29, 2015

IBB 06: Interview with Author of 'Kadrinche, beyond words'

Kinley Wangchuk has authored the recently published Bhutanese novel ‘Kadrinche, beyond words’. Read its review. It’s his first book. If you haven’t read it, please grab a copy and read it. I can guarantee you will love it. The story line is simple to follow and language is lucid. 

                     
To provide more insights, and in those areas where book itself didn’t cover, today I have requested him to share something more about the book through my interview. He agreed it and we’re indeed fortunate. Let us see what he has got to share with us. 

1. Welcome to my interview. Tashi Delek for successfully coming up with your first novel. Hope you’ll write more in coming years.
Kadrinche for the interview, Sherab, and thank you loads for the wishes. While I have passion in reading and writing and desire to pursue it on long-term basis, I am not so sure of its outcome. But I will keep on trying. I hope my candle of passion would continue to burn.

2. The story in your book closely resembles stories of Bhutanese movies Jurwa and Ngyen Dang Dra combined. Is your novel in anyway inspired by them?
My family and I have watched both the movies and we enjoyed a lot. But no, my book was not an outcome of inspiration from the two movies. I never had the intention of writing a story in similar lines. If the story of my book is similar to the two movies, it is pure coincidence.

3. You have given so much good qualities to Wangchuk as much as you have given bad qualities to Karma. Do you think you would have done the same if you were a female? 
We may not have much influence on what we may do and what we may not do. Many actions (including thoughts) are circumstantial, not pre-meditated. Moreover, whatever happens, happens for a reason. The characters, Wangchuk and Karma, are creation of my imagination. While one is good, other is supposedly bad. This situation was created as good and bad co-exist. By this I mean to say, good is good because of existence of bad and vice versa. Without one, other wouldn’t exist.

4. The end of story seems little unpredictably abrupt. Karma wasn’t given enough time to realize her mistakes and seek forgiveness from Wangchuk as well as from her children. Do you think it is fair?
Well I did not notice that deficiency. You can say it is failure on the part of my imagination. But frankly, I didn’t want the story to end that way, meaning I didn’t want the readers to conclude, “all is well that ends well”. I desired that the ending should be more heart-wrenching. But, “KADRINCHE, Beyond Words” is a sequel and there is more in the pipeline. If you have read the Epilogue, you would have noticed there would be continuation in the story.

5. Your book title can be translated as ‘Thank you, beyond words’. Who is the subject?
My book, “KADRINCHE, Beyond Words” is dedicated to 4th Druk Gyalpo on His Majesty’s 60th birth anniversary. It is also in celebration of Reading Year 2015. I hope my small effort would inspire young minds and revive reading habit of at least a few.

6. You have described so much about a company that was near to fall due to so many factors you have mentioned. Do you think such detailed information can be given if an author is someone who hasn’t actually worked in such an organization?
I have created the particular situation more befitting the story line; it is not a non-fiction. I am personally of the opinion that any business student, or for that matter, anyone who has somewhat similar working experiences can actually create similar plot. My past and present employer companies are all good. They have been, they are and they will always be sound in terms of business. I never had the opportunity of trying my management competencies in any entity that has business problems similar to the plot created in the story of my book.

7. People who know you since many years and who have also read this book say that more than 80% of the novel is just about your real life. But you have said otherwise in Disclaimer statement. Are you being honest to your readers?
I am happy that readers are connecting the story of my book with my real life. I have also experienced that stories of most books I have read thus far have certain familiarity and similarity with our real lives. But that doesn’t conclude that fiction stories are non-fiction. Similarly, the story in my book is also fiction. If it is somewhat similar to my real life, it is pure coincidence.

8. Can you give some differences between this book’s first unedited draft and its final edited version?
Yes, the draft was long because the story was unreasonably descriptive leaving no room for the readers’ imagination. However, the editor, Mr. Ngawang Phuntsho, had done a wonderful job in down-sizing and in giving soul to the story. He also ensured that the story is readable by the mass, not just the higher echelon of educated lot. Again Mr. Che Dorji and Mr. Ngawang Phuntsho came up with the most wonderful cover design. I am grateful to the two of them in the measure I can never sufficiently express.

9. Is writing a book and getting it published really very difficult in Bhutan?
Individual skills and personal determination more defines when and what kind of a book a writer would write. I do not see any obstruction in exercising one’s writing skills. However, getting the book published could be a problem, especially if you are low on budget. The situation would be worse if you are writing it for the first time as no publisher would take the risk of investing in your book. For this reason, I published the book on my own. But yes, I had to source fund to do it.

10. Do you have plans to write more books in future?
I dreamed of writing a book long ago but my personal deficiencies pegged me thus far. “Kadrinche, Beyond Words” is my first attempt. Should all go well, I intend to write yet another two books. The third and the last book would be a sequel to my first book “Kadrinche, Beyond Words”. But I have no timeline so far. I hope the interest of readers in reading would continue to fuel my writing passion.

Final Words
Thank you very much Aue Kinley for your wonderful time with us. We hope you will remain gripped with your passion for reading and writing, and then inspiring commoners like us. And didn't you say that you have plan to write two more books? Oh, you have told. So let me wish you all luck for that too.   

No comments:

Read our comment Policy to know your rights & responsibilities before actually leaving a comment for this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...