Wednesday, May 18, 2016

IBB 13: An interview with Sangye Dema of the blog 'My Page'

Some Bhutanese bloggers who used to be active bloggers before are dormant these days. When you know one of such bloggers, you might be wondering what must have happened to them. Mrs. Sangye Dema who blogs at 'My Page' can be a good example. She used to be one of the active bloggers in Bhutanese bloggers' circle. 
  


I have requested her for this interview to share her views and more importantly to call her back into blogging. It doesn't seem fair to let once-active blogger to remain silent and dormant without any updates. Hope she'll resume her earlier blogging pattern soon. 

1. Thank you for your time and welcome to this interview. First of all, can you tell us little bit about yourself and your blog?
Thank you. I am a teacher and had been teaching for the last 20 years. Most of my teaching career was spent in the rural communities. My blog titled 'My Page' came into existence in 2009 where I blog both fiction and real events occasionally.

2. How you got introduced into blogging? Who helped you the most in your initial blogging journey?
I used to read quite a lot during my school days but my interest in writing developed when I was pursuing a diploma in 2006. During that time, my younger brother introduced me to the world of blogging and I started writing bits and pieces on nopkin.com under a pseudonym and later created my own blog. My husband is my greatest critic.

3. Some people say that blogging is a modern way of maintaining a diary. But for some it’s another source of income. What is blogging for you?
Blogging has served as my diary and my stress releasing mantra during the time of personal crises. I have never earned a single penny from it.

4. If some of your students are interested in becoming bloggers, what would be few things that you will suggest not to do in the start-up phase of their blogs?
I would give them a big green signal and ask them to start simple. “Think big but Start small…one step at a time.”

5. Guest blogging isn’t popular among Bhutanese bloggers. What do you think should be done to encourage this culture?
Blogging though is not very popular in the rural communities in Bhutan, I think it is picking up in the urban where people have more access to internet. Bloggers in the vicinity should come together more often and create awareness about blogging.

6. Do you know that bloggers can make some money online by displaying ads of various monetizing programs?
I have no such idea.

7. Can you suggest some changes in the current prevalent Bhutanese bloggers’ ways of blogging to make blogging in Bhutan better?
Every bloggers have their unique technique of blogging. I enjoy going through the Bhutanese blogs because I can relate to them. Bloggers need consistency in updating their blogs.  Bhutanese bloggers do not lack ideas but consistency. 

8. What do you do when you don’t blog? How they help you in improving your blogging skills?
When I don’t blog I spend my time with my little daughter (she is one and half year old). I also volunteer with RENEW at our community level. And most of the time I am preparing my lesson or planning related to my work. 

9. There is a Community of Bhutanese Bloggers (CBB) founded sometimes in 2015 by a group of Bhutanese bloggers. But you are neither a member of it nor participated in any of its events till date. What holds you back?
I know about it and also follow them on Facebook. It is a great initiative. But I have not been able to participate in any of its events owing to other obligations. And moreover the events are held in West where it is quite impossible for me to travel due to the nature of my work and the distance from my work place. But I am hopeful that I will be able to join their events in future.

10. You are a teacher by profession and blogger by passion. How related is blogging with the teaching profession?
Blogging is like spices in my teaching career. I often refer to blogs while teaching. I am still learning from both blogging and teaching.
My Words
If you go back to the date/year in which she has started blogging, you'll feel that she would be one of the bloggers who will having good experiences in blogging. She also has quite a good number of posts in her. And to read her wonderful posts, you can subscribe her blog and follow her in Facebook

6 comments:

  1. I'm too wishing to attend CBB conference but as she mentioned its about the obligation we have, and the venue being far

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can also understand that. Since CBB will continue conducting its programs like conference, retreat and meets, we can expect your presence in future then. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have attended 3rd cbb conference n registered but didn't get confirmation still, would you like to help me sir

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have registered and even paid the annual membership fee, you should be a member of CBB now. Your blog also should appear in the feeds of Android supported CBB Apps.
    Still then you can ask Mrs. Rekha Monger (www.irelatetothat.com) on membership contribution. And if your blog appears in CBB Apps, I think you don't need the confirmation from Rekha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a college student they said we are not entitled for the fee. Fee is only for one who is employed labday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dechen Dorji, I think it would be wise on your part to contact Mrs. Rekha Monger on call or via Facebook about it. Is your blog configured in CBB Apps?

    ReplyDelete

Read our comment Policy to know your rights & responsibilities before actually leaving a comment for this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...